The name of the train evokes the images of massive hill forts, maharajas with spears riding elephants, grand entourages and lavishly adorned queens with colorful retinues. Maharajas' (of the great king's) Train and the journeys are designed to recreate the romance of a bygone era with seamless blend of the old world charm and the modern panache.
One of its kinds with a lavish Presidential Suite spanning over an entire carriage, the interiors are no less than a luxury hotel room with sumptuous fabrics, mahogany furniture, interiors paneled in teak and bathed in old-world charm.
|Guests arriving at Jaipur Station|
|Rang Mahal Restaurant|
At Rang Mahal restaurant, sit beneath a hand-painted ceiling – a gold floral motif on vermillion. The dining car is beyond opulent and the hospitality impeccable.
|Peacock Restaurant on board Maharajas Express|
|Safari Bar on board Maharajas Express|
|Interiors of the Fateh Prakash Palace inside City Palace Complex, Udaipur|
|Dinner with cultural folk show in Bikaner sand dunes|
Other major highlight of the train includes:
- A visit to Bishnoi Village near Jodhpur
- Elephant Polo Match in Jaipur in which guests could participate
- A lavish lunch at Satkar Hall inside Fateh Prakash Palace
- Shopping at local craft shop near famous Clock Tower in Jodhpur
- Exclusive cocktail dinner at Hanwant Mahal in Jodhpur
- High Tea at Jai VIlas Palace Museum in Gwalior (Indian Panorama)
- Cultural Dance Performance at Kandariya Shilpgram at Khajuraho (Indian Panorama)
- Walking tour in Varanasi followed by boat ride in Ganges to witness evening Aarti in Varanasi (Indian Panorama)
- Evening with lavish dinner at the residence of Raja of Jehangirabad in Lucknow (Indian Panorama)
- Dinosaur Fossil Park guided tour by Princess Aaliya followed by Village Walking Tour in Balasinor (Indian Splendor)
- A royal welcome and lunch hosted by the Royal Family of Balasinor at Garden Palace (Indian Splendor)
Each guest cabin of Maharajas' Express is equipped with attached washrooms, electronic safe, live television, fire alarm, fire extinguishers and telephones. Doors with RFID locks and WiFi facility add to the standard of premier service. A personal butler assigned to each guest salon is always there to take care of the needs of the guest.
Then there is the lounge car with a bar, gaming zone, well stocked library and souvenir shop to keep the guests entertained on board.
3 of the journeys last for 7 nights while 2 crisscrosses through the famed golden triangle tour circuit of India that include Delhi, Agra and Jaipur spanning over a period of 3 nights and 4 days each. The shorter itineraries are named Gems of India and Treasures of India.
If it is a maharaja life - however short it may be - that you would like to live, if indulgence is your aim and if you are looking for cultural immersion along with luxury, Maharajas' Express is your answer to rediscover the finer aspects of luxury train traveling in India.
Discover more about the travel experience through a guest's personal experience on Wall Street Journal in feature named Seeing India by Luxury Train.
If you are a rail fan or someone interested in luxury trains, you may also want to read our post on top 10 luxury trains in the world.
Contributed by Nikhil Chandra (Last Updated 24-01-2014)