India is a land of spiritual beliefs. Many people from every nook and corner visit the spiritual destinations of the country for seeking blessings. The more they visit, they more they get closer to the God. Every religion is sacred here and is treated equally.
The pious terra firma is the holy abode of many God and goddess of different religion. Spirituality has transformed many religious places into pilgrimage. Let us head towards a sacred sojourn to know more about these intriguing religious places in India.
Varanasi is woven with spiritual ethos. This city of Shiva is one amongst the seven sacred cities in Hinduism. A common belief that whosoever dies on this pious land gets free from the circle of incarnations, brings lots of tourists here. The holy Ganga meanders through Varanasi and enhances its sanctity. The river washes away all the sins of the people and receives a due respect in form of famous Ganga Aarti in the evening.
Places to Visit in Varanasi
– where Ganga Aarti takes place
Kashi Vishwanath Temple
– iconic riverside temple dedicated to Lord Shiva
– Buddha preached his first sermon at the Dhamekha Stupa in Sarnath
– the holiest ghat where human souls find salvation upon cremation her Statue of Standing Buddha
Best Time to Visit Varanasi - The pleasant weather from October to March makes it the best time to visit Varanasi.
Haridwar clearly implies to ‘Hari ka dwar’ meaning ‘Gateway to the Lord’. Another sacred city in India is famous as the origin place of river Ganges. The ancient ‘Sapta puri’ is also the place where Kumbh Mela is held after every 12 years. Numerous devotees of Lord Shiva, called as ‘Kanwariye’, walk miles to reach here in the month of July in order to collect the holy water of the river. Pilgrims also head towards this religious destination in India on various holy occasions to take a sacred dip in the river.
Places to Visit in Haridwar
attend famous Ganga Aarti of Haridwar and take holy dip in the river
Mansa Devi Temple
– A ropeway ride to the temple is an incredible experience
Chandi Devi Temple
– Another hilltop temple offering scenic views
Bharat Mata Mandir
– Sanctum sanctorum devoted to Hindu goddess
Best Time to Visit Haridwar - October to February
Nestled amidst the breathtaking hills, Rishikesh is the small town known for Ashrams. This tranquil city offers Yoga and meditation facilities. The serene banks of Ganga are the ideal platform to get indulge into a spiritual retreat. Soak in the natural beauty along with praising the divine aura. Tourists seeking for seclusion and spiritual holidays are welcome at the ‘World Capital of Yoga’.
Places to Visit in Rishikesh
Ram Jhula and Laxman Jhula
– a popular pilgrimage attraction
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple
– the place where Lord Shiva consumed the poison
The Beatles Ashram – Beatles’ perspective towards the world changed here after attending a meditation session.
Swarg Ashram – an ideal destination for solitude seekers
Parmarth Niketan – one of the top yoga centers in India
Best Time to Visit Rishikesh -
September to November and early March to first week of May is the best time to visit Rishikesh.
Amritsar owns a high religious importance for the Sikhs. But, the holy city of India is visited by people of almost every religions. The iconic Golden Temple is the center of attraction and takes spiritualism to a whole new level. This gilded temple tells the tales of many historical Sikh events. Savoring the delicious Langar here is a must. Many other divine places dot the beatific land.
Places to Visit in Amritsar
Golden Temple/ Sri Harmandir Sahib/ Darbar Sahib
– the holiest Gurudwara which is the epitome of equality and human brotherhood
– Show reverence towards the innocents who lost their lives in a brutal massacre
- witness and admire the patriotic zeal of Indian soldiers towards their nation
– take a holy dip in Amrit Sarovar to wash away all your sins
– This Lakshmi Narayan Temple matches the architecture of the Golden Temple
Best time to visit Amritsar -
October to March is the best time to visit the land of Golden Temple
Bodh Gaya is the holy land where Lord Buddha got enlightened under the Bodhi Tree. The UNESCO World Heritage Site Mahabodhi Temple is the source of spiritual bliss. The serene town is one of the holy Buddhist pilgrimages in India. The divine site also draws Hindu visitors for performing the sacred rituals known as ‘Pind Daan’ of their deceased ones..
Places to Visit in Bodh Gaya
Mahabodhi Temple Complex
– a holy pilgrimage for Buddhists housing the Bodhi tree
Great Buddha Statue
– Bow down in front of the tallest Buddha statue
– Gaze at the Bodhi tree where Lord Buddha got enlightened
– Another place dedicated to Lord Buddha
– the snake king Muchalinda protected Buddha from the storm
Best time to visit Bodh Gaya -
September to January serves as the pilgrimage season whereas November and February are the perfect months to visit Bodh Gaya.
The devotional Tiruvannamalai attracts both Hindu pilgrims and spiritual seekers alike. This sacred city in India is home to Mount Arunachala which is believed to have magical characteristics to calm the mind. Moreover, it is the blessed city where Lord Shiva is worshipped as the element of fire at Annamalaiyar Temple. This ‘silent place’ on the Earth is also noted for Sri Raman Ashram.
Places to Visit in Tiruvannamalai
Seshadri Swamigal Ashram
– best place for meditation
Fire Agini Lingam Temple
– the temple with eight directions
– a must visit on a full moon day
Thirumeeyachur Lalithambikai Temple
– A place where Sri Lalitha Sahasranamam was recited by Sri Hayagriva to Sri Agastya
– the temple is devoted to lord Varuna, the deity of West direction
Best time to visit Tiruvannamalai -
Tiruvannamalai is best visited in the months of October to March and between June and September.
The spiritual significance of India can’t be measured in number of religious place it has. But, you can rest assure that visiting any of the spiritual place in India
will leave you to wonder about the supreme powers of the God.